Monday, January 6, 2014

I have a computer

Tech Tip of the Day: "My computer wasn't working, so I turned it off and back on, and then logged in." Based on this explanation of your issue, I deduce that you want a cookie. Now why'd you call? The bakery's down the street.

A statement of what you have done doesn't necessarily translate to telling us what the issue is or what you need from us. If you were having problems, rebooted and they went away, that's great! If you'd like us to take a quick look to be sure everything's ok...that's what we need to know, please ask.

"I downloaded something on my computer."
"I dropped my laptop."
"I changed my password last week."
"There was a paper jam, and I pulled the paper out."

All of these are just statements of fact...please elaborate. Without context, they don't describe any issue at all, and you don't want an IT guy to use his imagination to fill in that giant hole in your story...we all have very odd senses of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment